Friday 24 December 2010

Christmas Eve and sweet treats!

I know, I know...it's been over a month since I was here last!

I really need to get my butt in gear and make more time for writing.  This past month has been crazy.  We've been getting ready for Christmas around here.  And now, it is upon us!  Most of the shopping is done, but not one item is wrapped yet!  So, I think know that's how we are spending our Christmas Eve.  We are going to set up our long 'party table' and make that our gift wrapping station for tonight.

So, health wise, I've been feeling good these last 4 to 5 weeks that I haven't been around.  With the exception of a few small things.  I have this one little black dot that's been visiting me daily in my right eye.  I can usually tolerate it, but sometimes it can be a little annoying, especially when reading as I feel it's chasing every sentence I am frequenting.   I will have to get it looked at in the New Year.  I know it can't be anything too serious.  I had my last eye appointment in the end of August, and everything was looking good.

This morning when I woke up, as I walked down the stairs, there was a numb kind of dead feeling in the front of my right leg.  I am suspecting it's a circulation issue.  I tend to cross my legs a lot, and I know I must stop.  It's the same leg that I always have crossed, and it's in the area of where it rests on the top of my other leg.  So, I can account for the possible cause of it.

We hosted my Hubby's work party last weekend.  Well, his team - not the whole company! :)  I spent my week leading up to it baking my heart out!  And, not healthy treats, I might add.  So, to counteract the little bit of guilt I am feeling (uncrossing my legs, again! You really don't know how difficult this is until you try it!) I did try a healthy version of muffins, and they are delicious.  As I said in an earlier post about the coconut palm sugar, I finally tried it, and I must say, changing up the sugar really made a difference.  None of this 60 grams of carbohydrate nonsense for one muffin.  I had to guess at the carbohydrates on this one, but I must say that my sugars did very well when entering only about 20 grams or less of carbohydrate per muffin.  (*Note:  this amount of carbs worked for me - do not substitute my judgment for your own - I don't want to see episodes of Hypoglycemia out there!*)Amazing, isn't it?  And there were no blood sugar spikes!  So, I am liking this coconut palm sugar, and see more baking with it in my near future.  Keep in mind that there is a high fiber count in this recipe, and with carbohydrate counting, fiber doesn't count!

Here is a sort of healthy alternative to muffins, with a hint of chocolate, of course!  Thanks Jen, for the recipe.

Orange Bran Flax Muffins


1-1/2 cups oat bran
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup flax seed (measure first, then grind)
1 cup natural bran
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 whole oranges (washed, quartered, seeded- and yes, this includes the peel)
1 cup brown sugar (this is where I substituted with 1 cup coconut palm sugar)
1 cup buttermilk (if you do not have this readily available, use 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp vinegar mixed in)
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 bag chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)


Combine oat bran, flour, flax seed, bran, baking powder, and salt.  Set. aside.


In a blender/food processor, combine oranges, brown sugar, coconut palm sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs & soda.  Blend well.


Pour OJ mix into dry ingredients.  Mix until well blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Makes 18 muffins.  Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes (I always bake for 25 minutes)  Ovens may vary.

So, there you have it.  A little sweet treat if you are looking for something without the guilt inserted! :)  Great especially if you are an orange/chocolate flavor freak! :)

Well, this gal better run - just thought I would drop by to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, or whatever holiday you celebrate.  Wishing you all the best....hmm, could this be my last post of 2010?  We will have to wait and see.

1 more sleep until Santa!  So excited.....

No comments: