Monday 18 October 2010

I found a new 'sugar'!

Today I felt like I didn't stop one bit.  Since I have quite the busy week coming up, I decided that I would try to sleep in this morning.  But, that all came to an end at 9am when the door bell rang, and the dog barked, and I was far far away from dream land.  I was awake, and there was no way I was getting back to sleep.  I scurried around looking for something decent to wear downstairs to answer the door. As my sleepy eyes peered out the front door into the bright morning light, I realized - Darn it!  I forgot to leave the fence unlocked for the pool maintenance guys to come and check a few things out for me.

So, I woke up pretty quickly, and going out into the back yard with the cool, crisp morning breeze, I was going to need coffee to get me through this day.

I tried to get lots done around the house today.  And no matter how hard I tried, it seemed that the tornado of toys did not end.  Either way, I managed to get the dishwasher loaded, the kitchen somewhat tidied, just so I could mess it up again for this evening's dinner, and then while dinner was in the oven, I was able to get the "J" man bathed and put down for a short nap.  *Sigh*  I tried to rest for a bit, but then I could not sleep again.

I got up, finished Dinner, ate with the family, then went off to work.

After work, I decided that it was time for some me-time.  I drove to the nearest bulk food store, and took my time browsing every bin there.  It was at the end of aisle one, I looked, then did a double take.  I had been looking for this stuff about a month ago, and I finally stumbled upon it!  Organic palm sugar - ingredients:  100% Coconut Palm Sugar.  I was so excited!

What is Coconut Palm  Sugar?  Well, long story short, I am still reading up on it myself, but I have a friend living in France who told me about this.  She is trying to bake and lower the amount of glucose she consumes due to some health issues.  And, being that she has quite the sweet tooth, she has told me about this Coconut Palm Sugar that apparently is becoming quite popular.  It is made from the sap of the coconut flower, and it is very low on the glycemic index, so it does not affect blood sugars nearly as much as sugar cane does.

I am so excited to have found it, and I am looking forward to trying some new (or old) recipes with it.  It will be very easy to substitute in my recipes as the ratio is 1:1, so you basically add the same amount of Coconut palm sugar in place of what the amount of sugar calls for in your recipe.  It is brown in color, and has a sweet taste, with a bit of a caramel aftertaste, so far, not bad at all!

I will have to share my thoughts on this new ingredient in my life, once I try it in a recipe, and see how my blood sugars do with it.

Now, for some sleep.....

No comments: