Tuesday 9 November 2010

It's been a sweet day - and I am grateful...

I woke up at 6am to go get my blood work done.  It was very chilly this morning as the frost was glued to the windows of my vehicle.  My fingers were numb as I used a card from my wallet to scrape the beautiful snowflake frost shapes from my window.  A little unprepared for this cold weather, I must say.  I just want to be in denial that Winter is on it's way.

I arrived at the lab around 6:35am.  The lab isn't supposed to open until 7am, but the doors open at 6:45am so the lab technicians can begin their paper work and get everything in order to begin drawing blood at 7am.  I arrived outside before the doors opened, it was still dark, and there were five people in front of me.  They were all ladies, varying in age.  They were standing around chattering about fees that different pharmacies offer.  I piped in to mention that my pharmacy just raised my 'filler fee' by $2.00.  It's not bad enough that we have to pay for life sustaining drugs out of our own pockets, but now the price is going up per prescription....well, that's a whole other topic.

I waited about 40 minutes to finally have my blood drawn, while listening to people mumbling under their breath about how "the clinic isn't supposed to be open until 7am, so why are there so many people?".  Well, being a blood test veteran, I can assure you that there will always be 'an early bird there to catch the worm', so that's why I was up at 6am to get to a lab that opened at 7am.  There's a little tip for any blood test 'newbies' out there.  Make good use of it, and you will save yourself lots of time when you need to get your blood work completed.

I had an interesting day otherwise.  One that I am very thankful for. I cannot get into a whole lot of things except that many things that happened today were very exciting, or full of good news.  So, I feel like I had the most awesome day.  And, it feels great.

I took Grey (our cat) to the vet this evening for his vaccinations.  I was telling our vet that seeing all the other little pups and dogs coming into the clinic was making me want another one.  I then explained how our "J" man was a miracle baby, and that our dog, Eddie, was our 'baby' before our son came along.  I joked as I told him that if I get another dog, I may just have another baby.  We brought our pup home February of 2008, and then in February 2009, we brought our son home.  So, I joked that that would happen to me.  He then brought up the fact that he adopted his two children.  I must say, based on the last two weeks of my emotional roller coaster ride, I was quite intrigued by this conversation.  I am just starting to try to accept that my body may not do what I want it to, but that doesn't have to be the end of it, does it?  I am still yearning to have a sibling for our boy.  I want him to share life with someone, in our family.

I am not sure how I will go about getting to the end goal of this journey, but I think today's lesson made me realize that my one track mind may not be the answer.  I realized that when taking a journey, there are some unexpected turns along the way.  I am grateful for this.  It has given me some peace of mind, for the time being.

No comments: