Tuesday 5 October 2010

Happy 24th Anniversary to ME!!!

Today I woke up in a particularly reflective mood, and today of all days, I cannot help the fact that I have so much to be thankful for.

First, I am thankful for the years 1921 and 1922.  Why would I be so thankful for two years in time when I did not even exist yet?  Because, in 1921, there were four men involved in something life changing, not only for many people, but for me.  Dr. Frederick Banting was the first guy. He discovered insulin in 1921 when he successfully lowered a dog's blood sugar.  Charles Best was a research assistant along side Dr. Banting at the time.  Then the other two guys, researcher John Macleod and chemist James Collip would help to prepare the insulin for human use.  In January of 1922, the first human insulin injection was given, saving a boy's life.

Now, here I sit on  October 5, 2010, and I am celebrating my 24th anniversary with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes.  I get a very odd response from people when I say I am "celebrating" the anniversary of my diagnosis with this potentially deadly disease.  Well, why wouldn't I celebrate?  I have been given an extra 24 years of life that would have otherwise been my death sentence back in 1986 had the discovery of insulin not been made.  And for that, I am thankful.  I am also thankful that with 24 years under my belt, I have been blessed with the gift of not yet suffering with major complications caused by this disease.  Others are not so lucky, and I know that from first hand experience.  I cry every time I hear about one of my camp friends who have had to suffer at the hands of this dreadful disease. 

Insulin was given to me as a tool.  It doesn't 'cure' everything.  There are many tools involved in maintaining a proper balance to live a long time with this disease.  One of the major things you need is, attitude.  A good attitude to help pull you out of a hole on a bad day, and a stubborn attitude to make sure that this disease doesn't kick your butt.  Then most of the other stuff you need is knowledge and pure determination and Hope.  You keep at it, day in, and day out, and just hope for the best.  It all doesn't come without some hard work involved.  Any person with Diabetes will tell you that nothing is ever perfect, so I am in no way trying to portray perfection.  There are days you simply burn out, but really - what other choice do you have?  You just need to be okay with feeling burned out, then brush yourself off, and get back on that wagon.  Yes, it sucks sometimes, but this is the hand I was dealt, and I have to be okay with it, for the most part.  I feel that acceptance has gotten me even further with this disease.  Fighting with myself that it doesn't exist creates only more stress.  So, I just help this disease be as comfortable as it can be inside my body so it doesn't wreak havoc on my body.  I can't 'evict' it, so I live with it.

Alongside all of those things that you need to maintain a balance with this disease, I have used many of these 'tools' in my general life experiences.  You see, this disease tends to make you look at the world in a different way. If you think long and hard enough, it will make you realize that the little petty things in life just don't matter.

Today I am proud, happy, and feel so accomplished to have 24 years under my belt, and many more to go, if I have anything to do with it.  So yes, I am "celebrating"!  I am celebrating so much so that I am seriously considering having a 25th Anniversary party next year to celebrate this extra LIFE I have been given.  Who wouldn't celebrate with having 25 years added to their clock?

Happy 24th Anniversary to ME!  Bring it on, baby!

No comments: