Friday 22 October 2010

Insulin Pump Infusion Sets....How many have YOU put in today?

So, I am on my third day of wearing my infusion set.  Or so I thought, until I looked at my pump.  "Last Reservoir started October 18, 2010"  I am thinking "Are you kidding me?  Where has the time gone?  Four days already?  This is just ridiculous!"

For those of you that are not sure what an infusion set is, it is sort of a 4 part system.  It is the device used to hook up to an insulin pump.  It consists of a cannula that you insert under the skin, almost with the same concept of an IV, where the needle does not stay in your skin, it is used only for insertion, and then left behind in your skin is a little tube.  This little tube stays into your skin with another part called an adhesive mount.  You rub this sticky stuff on your skin so that the adhesive part that holds the cannula in place will not come off easily and will stick to you for (hopefully) 3 days.  The adhesive mount has a quick-disconnect section that connects to the long tubing that goes to the cartridge that is being held inside the insulin pump.  It is the cartridge that is filled with insulin, and the pump is responsible for delivering the amount of insulin from that cartridge through the tubing, into the body.  The pump has all the information programmed into it like a computer, based on data that you provide it by checking your blood sugars.  (I can get into that part another day)

I am writing because I am wondering if there are any other persons with Diabetes out there who have had to go through the frustration of inserting your set, and finding that it hurts like He**!  So, here I sit with 3, yes 3 sets in my tummy.  And I am in pain tonight.  The first one (now 4 days old) was starting to peel, and hurt, so thankfully I checked and found that it was 4 days old and realized it was time for a change.  I then inserted the second one as my new one, and that one hurt so badly.  I usually can insert them without incident.  Once I inserted and did my fixed prime, it wasn't sitting nicely in my skin, and my nurse has always said to replace any that hurt.  And I sure as heck am not going to be sleeping with that hurting tonight.  So, attempt number 3!  I tried another one, and for some reason, my skin is so sensitive tonight that I had terrible pain inserting that one as well.  I managed to get it in and now have my pump operating off that one, but wow, I haven't had this happen in a VERY long time.  For the first time in a long time, before I was able to get the third one in, I had a 'moment' with my pillow.  I used it as a good old punching bag.  I feel a bit better now...I must say! ;)

I am thankful to be on the pump, and I wouldn't change it for the world, but you know, the one thing they don't tell you much of is the permanent scarring you develop once you are on the pump.  With daily injections, the needles are smaller so that you occasionally bruise, but usually do not scar. It is the quick in and out of that needle that causes no problems. With the insulin pump, that tubing sits in your skin, so your body tries to heal around it, and after 3 days, when it comes out,  you are left with a scar.  If you wait longer than 3 days, you start to risk causing an infection to flare up, well in my case anyway.  So, I was blessed with having no stretch marks during my pregnancy, but the truth is, the scarring from the pump makes up for that!

Gone are the days of the unblemished tummy skin.  Hello scars!   I feel like a pin cushion most times, but do not complain about it much.  But,  I just had to share this tidbit of information with you that, yes, after 24 years, I have not gotten used to needles.  Yes, they still hurt.  And yes, I still sometimes get frustrated, ie.  'pillow moment'.  And, I most certainly do NOT like using up extra sets as they are quite pricey!  Here in Canada they run at about an average of twenty dollars each.  Sure, when you think of partial insurances, etc.  I think about the days when I had NO coverage.  And to me, it still costs money.

So there are many ways to look at it, but I thought, while I let this burning pain settle that is radiating through the skin on my tummy, I would write a bit so I could go to bed and rest my head for the night.

Bruised and bent, but not broken....one day at a time. :)

No comments: